NYS Assembly Standing Committees
Corporations, Authorities and Commissions
Economic Development, Job Creation, Commerce and Industry
The subject of the hearing scheduled for October 23, 2015 was on “Providing Affordable and High Quality Cable, Broadband, and Telephone Service. It was postponed without added information other than a hearing in Albany on January 20, 2016.
If there will be a hearing in NYC it will be held at 250 Broadway, Room 1923, 19th Floor New York, NY. and AKNA will be notified Oral testimony was requested by invitation only. The testimony to be submitted by AKNA will be found here to find link to additional comments for consideration at future hearings.
Your comments are requested using the contact form below.
The purpose of this dual committee hearing is to examine the telecommunications marketplace and the ability of consumers to obtain affordable and high quality cable, broadband, and telephone service. The Committees are particularly interested in examining whether competition in the marketplace is sufficiently providing affordable and high quality cable, broadband, and telephone service.
With new companies and technologies competing with traditional telephone and cable companies in recent years, the telecommunications marketplace is undergoing a major transformation that has impacted the quality and cost of service. At the same time, the nature, scope and jurisdiction of State and Federal regulation are in a period of transition as regulators attempt to keep pace with changes in the telecommunications marketplace. Changes, such as the possible consolidation, merging, entry, or exit of cable, telephone, and broadband providers, could have a significant impact on consumers.
At this hearing, the Assembly Committee on Corporations, Authorities, and Commissions and the Committee on Economic Development, Job Creation, Commerce and Industry will examine current options for cable, broadband, and telephone service across the state and how state laws and regulations are impacting these services. The insight gained from this hearing will aid the Committees when they consider future legislation that affects telecommunications providers and the adequacy of the State’s current regulation.
The rest of the notice advised readers of:
- The June 23, 2015 report that remains accessible on the Department’s web site at: http://www.dps.ny.gov
- Requested prompt confirmation and 10 advanced copies of testimony in case of cancellations
- A request to further publicize these hearings of the Committee’s interest in considering testimony.
- The hearing is accessible via the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- The responsible legislators are:
- James F. Brennan Member of Assembly & Chair of Committee on Corporations, Authorities and Commissions
- Robin Schimminger, Member of Assembly & Chair of Committee on Economic Development, Job Creation, Commerce and Industry