Long live Mother Jones. They know they cannot fix all of the new forms of corruption destroying American democracy, but they are going to give it a try. You already know this to be their honest work, so click here to make a tax-free donation to the Corruption Project. The goal is $500,000.
Deciding to make a more significant difference, the Corruption Project will build a 1.2 million dollar investment to publish reports on the kinds of corruption that seem to define America today. They will examine the illegal and the legal kind (here). In the summer of 2020, it will be tuned to make an impact that year’s election. Perhaps the most important in the history of America.
The needs to be more sunshine on the folks who pull strings behind the scenes. The Kaiser Family Foundation added “corruption” to the list of topics of great concern over health care and the economy. Corruption is the rot beneath thousands of scandals, all seen as perception or news cycle problems, ahead of the behavior of cancer that it represents.
If a demagogue benefits from the corruption, they will run on a platform against it as a step to take full advantage in office.
- Financial systems that are consistently manipulated by those with money and power for personal gain.
- In-depth, time-intensive reporting on the crisis of democracy requires an inward vs. outward look. First, the crisis must be recognized.
- Where there is no clarity, transparency, and change, corruption is likely.
- The incentive to bring forward a new media landscape requires more analysis of results. For example,
- What are fines without admission of guilt other than the debasement of values?
- Do hundreds of pleas of wrongdoing, and malfeasance cloud the senses?
- Examples like these expose the substantial issue — attacking “systems” of corruption.
Getting Started on a Cure
The thing about systems is they are best only understood in terms of larger and more complex systems. The earth and moon cannot be defined usefully without understanding the solar system and its place among a galaxy of galaxies. A single cancer cell is unknown without the organ in which it grows in the body of the person in which it becomes lethal.
Mother Jones has come up with a strategy for putting the quality of life as a nation in the context of our choice in 2020. Will it be a choice made in a system designed by those with enormous economic power seeking to defend great wealth or a messy system formed in the expression needs and concerns embedded in the great diversity of the United States?
Send Mother Jones a few of your hard earned bucks and pay close attention with your sense of inner-guidance to the body politic