The American Institute of Architect’s New York chapter (AIANY) released a mayoral platform to help them set the 2014 agenda: See: PDF
- buildings, what is built, how it gets where, for who, when
- neighborhoods planning and community development issues
- city systemic change in building and zoning codes
- world state, federal and international policy on cities.
Some of the details in NYC
- 100,000 new units of affordable housing units built over next ten years building on the 150,000 produced since 2000
- Complete the green code, passed in 2010 to support energy-efficient and sustainable buildings. Only 29 of the 111 proposals from the draft code have been passed,
- Build “active design” programs to make existing buildings healthy, safe and efficient.
- Add open space throughout the city
- Establish a position: Deputy Mayor for Design and Planning and make the Office for Long-Term Planning and Sustainability a commissioner-level position