A long time ago Sim Van der Ryn and Stuart Cowan defined sustainability both technologically and ecologically.x They pointed to the hubris embedded in the technological approachx to the goal of sustainability.x Technology has proven to be deadly unless it is fully tetheredx in the way David W. Orr recommended in demandingx careful human attention to the absolutx priority of ecological principles.
- First, people are finite and fallible. The human ability to comprehend and manage scale and complexity has limits. Thinking too big can make our human limitations a liability rather than an asset.
- Second, a sustainable world can be redesigned and rebuilt only from the bottom up. Locally self-reliant and self-organized communities are the building blocks for change.
- Third, traditional knowledge that coevolves out of culture and place is a critical asset. It needs to be preserved, restored, and used.
- Fourth, the true harvest of evolution is encoded in nature’s design. Nature is more than a bank of resources to draw on: it is the best model we have for all the design problems we face.
Technology is zero-sum when placed in a priority higher than these four principles of real change.x The Urban Design committee is looking for a readings and critiques of Sustainablex America by John Dernbachx (et. al) and theirx position: Sustainable development willx make the US livable, healthy, secure, and prosperous.
The book runs through 28 areas of human behavior that need to change using 100 actions taken within five to ten years and thematically summarizedx in 10 points as follows:
1.x x Ecological footprint system integration
2.x x Greenhouse gas reduction programs
3.x x Stimulate employment for unskilled persons in environmental protection and restoration
4.x x Stimulate NGOs to play a major role
5.x x Organize government initiatives using sustainability principles to prioritize
6.x x Expand options for sustainable living choices to consumers
7.x x Advance general public and formal education
8.x x Strengthen environmental and natural resources law
9.x x Lead international efforts on behalf of sustainable development
10. Systematically improve access to data for decision making
x It was released January 12, 2009. One can order from Island Press here or Amazon herex For more information, See the books website site Sustainable Americax or Dernbach’s website: x x Also see Dernbach’s 2002 book: Stumbling Towards Sustainability.